During the course of the summer, we’ve been avoiding the heat outside and instead have been busy working on preparing the final version of our Beckon 3.0 Windows Edition. After incorporating your feedback, fixing bugs, and completing testing, we are excited to get this out to developers. As before, the SDK is available as a free, non-commercial download from our website. Or, if you would like to purchase a commercial license, simply send us an email for pricing details.
What’s new in this release? Well, read on to find out. . .
We strongly recommend downloading and working with this updated version of our SDK as it offers a more robust, stable environment and addresses a number of known issues. Highlighted below are upgraded features:
- Improved Tracking. You will experience better tracking, with better handling of hands and the ability to navigate through menus with greater ease.
- Flash Wrapper. The Flash wrapper is now available as a stand-alone download, separate from the SDK. The source code is available along with two samples to make development in Flash that much easier. Also, the wrapper is backwards compatible with older versions of Beckon. The Flash wrapper isn’t part of the Beckon SDK package but you can download it from the Omek developer support site.
- Lower CPU Consumption. This one’s pretty self-explanatory, no?
- Simpler, Easy-to-use Installer. Camera drivers for the most popular cameras are now built into the installer, allowing you to start working with any of the supported cameras straight out of the box.
And if you haven’t tried Beckon 3.0 yet, here are a few additional improvements you will find with this latest version:
- New Tracking Viewer. We completely overhauled our tracking viewer to create a more streamlined and simplified interface, making coding that much easier
- Added Samples. Check out the Downloads section on Omek’s developer support site to find additional samples to get you started with your application or game.
- Quick Launch. Quickly access documentation, tracking viewer, samples, or support.
- Updated Documentation. Are you noticing a trend here? We are reorienting the Omek experience to be one that is easy for you to use and work with. In that spirit, we’ve updated the documentation to reflect the changes we have made and to make working with our tools easier.
Nothing in life is perfect so let us know your feedback on what you like best and what needs additional work on our end. You can leave your comments below or if you have questions that others can benefit from, please post them in our Forums section.